Level 6 Certificate in PE Subject Leadership.
Developed by AfPE and SportsLeadersUK this two and a half-day course that has been designed to enable you to develop your skill set and subject knowledge to improve teaching & learning by:
- Planning, leading and evidencing improvement in PESSPA across the whole school
- Planning and delivering a progressive, broad & balanced curriculum
- Delivering a differentiated and inclusive PE offer
- Contributing to whole-school improvement
- Ensuring the workforce is delivering excellent provision in PESSPA
Active Members receive £15 cashback to spend on our online store when they book this course through The Active Education Co.
What is the qualification?
The Level 6 Certificate in Primary PE Subject Leadership is a nationally recognised degree level qualification that will provide you with the knowledge and akills to deliver and lead outstanding PE.
Teachers and those with QTS wanting to book on this course must have the commitment from the head teacher that as a PE Lead you will be able to:
- Carry out 3 lesson observations in the academic year.
- Present to the governing body the results of your subject audit and action plan for PESSPA.
- Run a whole school targeted intervention in Physical Education which produces a piece of research with findings targeting teaching/learning or both.
There is a requirement for tasks to be completed, some of which will be in between the contact days. The topics covered on this course are outlined below:
- Role of the PE Subject Leader
- How to monitor PESSPA?
- Evaluating the quality of curriculum, assessment and teaching & learning in your own school
- How to observe a lesson in KS2 – carrying out a joint lesson observation
- Involving and gathering evidence from stakeholders
- Conducting a PE ‘position statement’
- Target Games
- Attacking and defending strategies
- The principles of change management relevant to primary school PE
- Audit the school workforce’s attitudes and behaviours towards PE
- Draw up a SMART plan to bring about improvement in PESSPA
- How to observe a lesson in KS1- carrying out a joint lesson observation
- How to lead and manage the implementation of PESSPA targeted strategy over a minimum of one term
- Present the strategy to the senior management team and other relevant stakeholders and get this signed off as part of your evidence
- Multi Skills
- Leading an Active Curriculum
- Evaluating the learning impact of the targeted strategy
- Ensuring that PE is high profile through its standing in the curriculum
- Challenging the more able
Our recommended course provider
The Active Education Co. work with a select number of course providers that our team have thoroughly vetted to ensure a high-quality service for our members. The recommended course provider for the Level 6 Certificate in Primary PE Subject Leadership qualification is ‘The PE & Sports Hub’.
The courses delivered by The PE & Sports Hub are lead by Physical Education consultant Steve Busby. Steve is well known within the PESSPA industry for his innovative and energetic work. As a former Primary Head with over 13 years experience, Steve understands and passionately champions the enormous benefits an outstanding PE curriculum can bring to children’s health and well-being. He believes that PE is at the heart of all successful schools, with it being an integral role in whole school development.
Steve has a passion for helping colleagues develop outstanding practice in their curriculum and assessment and for maximising opportunities for children to participate and compete in school sport. He also believes in a curriculum that provides opportunities for children to lead, to inspire and to reflect.
The PE & Sports Hub were awarded the Association of Physical Education ‘Professional Learning Centre of The Year – 2019/20’
Upcoming Course Information
Dates: Coming Soon…
Tutor/Course Leader: Steve Busby