Level 5 Certificate in Primary Physical Education Specialism.
It has been designed to ensure your staff in school:
- Have the skill set to improve teaching and learning
- Offer a progressive, broad and balanced curriculum
- Deliver a differentiated and inclusive PE offer
- Understand how PE can contribute to whole-school improvement
- Know what Physical Literacy is
- Show intent, implementation and impact of outstanding practice in PESSPA
- Articulate your schools provision through a ‘Deep Dive’
Active Members receive £15 cashback to spend on our online store when they book this course through The Active Education Co.
What is the qualification?
The Level 5 Certificate in Primary Physical Education Specialism is a nationally recognised, degree-level qualification. This course, in particular, has been designed to cover the required elements of this qualification, whilst also including those aspects which are highlighted by primary school teachers and Head Teachers as areas they need further guidance.
Who is it aimed at?
This course is open to teachers, higher-level teaching assistance, teaching assistance (extensive experience delivering across all years required) and coaches (a minimum Level 2 NGB award and 5 years experience delivering to KS1 & 2 required) to assist in raising standards within primary school education.
This course is a degree level qualification and there is a requirement for tasks to be completed, some of which will be between the contact days. The topics covered on the six contact days are outlined below:
- Fundamental Movement Skills*
- Leading & managing outstanding PE
- The National Curriculum for PE
- SMSC and PE – values & attitudes
- Who can add value to the teaching & learning process?
- Developing a PE team in school
*indicates learning outcomes delivered with a practical element
- Raising the profile of PE
- Educational Gymnastics: Floor & apparatus skills*
- Inclusive PE
- Differentiation – STEP principle
- Health & Safety – identifying risks and managaing them
- Developing own teaching through a SMART action plan
- Educational dance*
- Stimuli, techniques & progression in dance*
- Research into Primary Physical Education
- Good to Outstanding teaching
- Developing other staff in school
- Attacking and defending skills*
- Assessment for Learning
- Developing a broad & balanced curriculum
- Physical Development milestones
- Teaching and learning strategies
- Net/Wall KS2*
- Planning a KS1 Striking and Field unit of work*
- Planning in the long, medium and short term
- Progression in skills*
- Outdoor and Adventurous Activities*
- Use of questioning and modelling
- Assessment and reporting & using data
- Physical Literacy and developing pupils’ analytical & evaluative skills
- Planning an intervention group
- Physical activity
- Developing a Healthy School and a whole school approach to tackling obesity
- Grant funding opportunities
- Intra and Inter school competition & Kite Marks
- Developing your School Games Day
- Preparing for a ‘Deep Dive’
- How to show intent, implementation and impact
Our recommended course provider
The Active Education Co. work with a select number of course providers that our team have thoroughly vetted to ensure a high-quality service for our members. The recommended course provider for the Level 5 Certificate in Primary School Physical Education Specialism is ‘The PE & Sports Hub’.
The courses delivered by The PE & Sports Hub are lead by Physical Education consultant Steve Busby. Steve is well known within the PESSPA industry for his innovative and energetic work. As a former Primary Head with over 13 years experience, Steve understands and passionately champions the enormous benefits an outstanding PE curriculum can bring to children’s health and well-being;. He believes that PE is at the heart of all successful schools, with it being an integral role in whole school development.
Steve has a passion for helping colleagues develop outstanding practice in their curriculum and assessment and for maximising opportunities for children to participate and compete in school sport. He also believes in a curriculum that provides opportunities for children to lead, to inspire and to reflect.
The PE & Sports Hub were awarded the Association of Physical Education ‘Professional Learning Centre of The Year – 2019/20’
Upcoming Course Information
Dates: 22nd March, 15th April, 7th June,
7th July, 22nd September, 17th November
Time: 09:00 – 12:00 noon.
Venue: All sessions will be delivered remotely online.*
Tutor/Course Leader: Steve Busby
*There is the potential to offer the last few dates of the course with optional afternoon face to face sessions focussing on practical sessions.