1st4Sport Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Learning in Physical Education and School Sport
Developed in partnership with the Association for Physical Education (afPE), the Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Learning in Physical Education and School Sport aims to provide learners with an introduction to a number of roles through an engagement with physical education and school sport (PESS), including teaching, activity leadership and coaching for young people.
The qualification provides learners with guidance on further opportunities, including how to contribute to PESS programmes as a sports leader, coach and teaching assistant. While this qualification is delivered through the medium of PESS, the skills may be used by learners in working in other sporting environments, under appropriate guidance.
Active Members receive £15 cashback to spend on our online store when they book this course through The Active Education Co.
What is the qualification?
Alongside an NGB recognised level 2 coaching qualification, the 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Learning in Physical Education and School Sport is recognised as the industry standard qualification for children’s activity professionals. The qualification also has the support of CIMSPA, the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity, as an industry-relevant qualification contributing to the industry’s professional framework also.
Who is it aimed at?
The qualification aims to provide you with an introduction to a number of roles through an engagement with physical education and school sport (PESS). If you are interested in roles that include teaching, activity leadership and coaching for young people this is a perfect course for you.
Additional Course Information
100% of the learning that you will receive will support you in being able to assist others in the delivery of physical education and school sport in a suitable environment. The skills and knowledge developed through this qualification may also be used to enable you to progress to other industry-relevant qualifications in coaching, activity leadership, supporting PE in school sport and sports development.
The qualification is composed of nine mandatory units. During your achievement of the qualification you will complete the following learning outcomes:
- Be able to understand key legislation related to physical education and school sport
- Be able to understand and apply the principles of teaching physical education and coaching school sport
- Be able to understand the principles of safe practice in physical education and school sport
- Be able to understand the principles of child development through movement
- Be able to promote lifelong health and well-being
- Be able to understand the principles of inclusion in physical education and school sport
- Prepare for physical education and school sport activities
- Be able to lead physical education and school sport activities
- Be able to conclude and review physical education and school sport activities
The qualification also provides you with:
- a basis on which to make informed choices about an appropriate career in PESS
- an opportunity to develop an understanding of supporting learning in PESS
- an opportunity to develop PESS knowledge and skills that can be applied to different educational and school sport-related settings, such as coaching
- an introduction to a career as a physical education teacher
- an introduction to other opportunities to work as a PESS professional (e.g. a higher level teaching assistant [HLTA], teaching assistant [TA], coach, sports development officer, volunteer or leader).
Programmes of learning and assessment involve a mixture of activity plans, simulation and written tasks to support your development within the area of Physical Education and School Sport.
Our recommended course provider
The Active Education Co. work with a select number of course providers that our team have thoroughly vetted to ensure a high-quality service for our members. The recommended course provider for the 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Learning in Physical Education and School Sport is ‘BallZone’.
BallZone is a recognised centre for the delivery of awards, qualifications and training in the sports and leisure industry. They deliver a range of vocational training through Sports Coach UK & 1st4Sport. Through these organisation they offer qualifications and training from all ages including 14-19 Alternative Curriculum training and qualifications as well as a wide variety of short and accredited qualifications at Level 1 to 4 for delegates aged 16+.
BallZone have developed their own online learning platform utilising the world-renowned Moodle education software. All their courses are offered with a blen of online tasks and face to face delivery.
Upcoming Course Information
Venue: 80% Online / 20% In Person (Venue TBC)